Saturday, October 4, 2008

Voting: The lesser of two evils... is still evil

This not meant to start a thread about the two major political party jokers. Can you tell I'm not a fan of either? Since registering to vote, I have not missed an election. But yet, every election when asked how I voted, I am always told you threw away your vote. Why? Because I always vote in the following manner: first third party (Libertarian usually, but other if they have no candidate), second non-incumbent (either person running against the incumbent or or the candidate of the party that was not just in office), if it is an incumbent running unopposed, I will not vote for them.

Every year it is always the same response, "you threw away your vote, voting for that guy!" To which I respond, "by that logic, every vote for a losing candidate is a wasted vote." That simply isn't true. I vote this way for several reasons. I am a small L libertarian (I'm not a member of the Libertarian party). I believe in liberty in all areas of life: personal and economic. I think each individual should be free to chose how they conduct their life, so long as it does not harm another person or an other's property without their consent and that consenting individuals are themselves totally responsible for their actions and choices.

Second by my voting pattern, I seek to improve ballot access for other viewpoints. The system is currently set up to heavily favor the Demicans and Republicrats. Just recently when the attorney general position was vacated, independents had to acquire and certify huge numbers of petition signatures to gain access to the ballot. All in just ten days!! I helped an acquaintance Robert Owens ( http://owens2008.com/) do just that. The "major" parties did not have to go through all of that, they did not even have to name a candidate for several weeks. By obtaining a certain percentage of the vote each election, that party is guaranteed ballot access. They can then expend their resources on other advertising, not just getting into the game.

Imagine if the major parties had to submit petitions for each and every candidate they wanted to run. How many do you think would make the ballot? Do you sign every petition?

So just think when you step into that booth as you scan the choices and think there's got to be another choice, by voting for a third party you may be increasing the number of choices the next time. And you'll be able to sleep with a clean conscience.

No comments: