Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Oh I wish it would rain...

It has been uncharacteristically dry here in Central Ohio. Even the humidity is down (thank goodness for that). However it has made it very difficult for the plants in my garden to make it through summer. I don't like watering, seems like such a waste when usually it falls from the sky for free. Ordinarily it is not a huge deal as I have rain barrels (4, for a total of 220 gallons) but they are all disconnected as I prep the house for painting. Drat!

Spring was awesome with all of the rain we had here. My fruit trees are loaded. One of my apple trees is so loaded that its branches are bent and touching the ground. This after picking off and throwing away (composting) two 5 gallon bucks of immature fruit. Ugh! I can't bring myself to pick off any more.

I should mention that I have a standard city lot, not huge by any stretch of the imagination, but currently have a large silver maple tree (I'd like to tap it some day and make syrup, more research required), 2 apple trees, 1 fig tree (yes, you can grow figs here in Ohio), 1 nectarine tree, and 2 paw paw trees (Asimina triloba, largest fruit native to North America). The "orchard" is in addition to a gardening space of about 20' x 40'. It keeps me very busy.

Pictures and details coming soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post, we will post your Hydroponic strawberries article. I will post for our customers to see your articles on your blog Hydroponic strawberries